Skip to main content

Eggs Benedict

I have made this dish a total of two times in my whole 23 years of life and both times it was just heavenly. I'm going to provide for you the recipe and instructions on how to make this dish how I made it. Feel free to embellish and... debellish(?) however you want.


Eggs Benedict



Ingredients:
  • 1 English Muffin (whichever brand you prefer. I personally use "Thomas")
  • 2 Eggs
  • 2 Canadian Bacon slices
  • 1/4 Avocado (That's right! Just trust me)
  • 1/2 Cheese Slice (If you want. I used White American)
  • Salt and Pepper (To Taste)
  • Red Pepper Flakes (To Taste)
Hollandaise Sauce: 
(You're more than welcome to use the store bought kind if you'd like)
  • 3 Egg Yolks
  • 1 TBSP lemon juice (I used the kind in a squeeze bottle)
  • 1 dash Cayenne Pepper
  • 1/4 tsp Dijon Mustard
  • 1/2 C butter

Directions:

  1. Poaching eggs is almost an art form and I've been tracing the lines for years. Technically, you have to start a pot of boiling (but not too boiling) water and start a whirlpool in the center and then drop your egg into the whirlpool. I have an Egg Poaching Pan which you put over a pot of water and cover with a lid and it really just steams the eggs. However, if you'd like to ACTUALLY poach an egg I have provided a "How To..." video from Food Networks YouTube channel.  
  2. Once your eggs are going I recommend starting your hollendaise. In your blender combine egg yolks, mustard, lemon juice, and cayenne. Cover and blend for about 5 seconds. 
  3. Put your butter in a saucepan (or in a glass measuring cup in the microwave for like 1 minute or until completely melted). If you're using a saucepan, medium heat, stirring to keep from burning, until completely melted. Put blender on HIGH and pour the butter in with the egg mixture. (It should almost instantly thicken). Keep it warm until serving by placing the blender in a pan of hot water.
  4. Once your sauce is done, start toasting your muffin and check your egg. (Cook your egg to your preference. I like mine just barely jellied). Warm your Canadian bacon and prep your avocado how you want ( if you want it).
  5. When your muffin is done, make like the Avengers and ASSEMBLE! Start with your muffin, place your cheese, Canadian bacon, avocado, egg, and then spoon your hollendaise over the top. I "garnished" mine with Red Pepper Flakes.


That's it guys!! Pretty simple and CRAZY good! Don't get me wrong, it IS rather rich and if you'd like to replace the avocado with something that has less fat I would recommend asparagus. It's just as great, I promise! 

Until next time,
     -S


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raspberry Chipotle Salmon

This is a dish I made for a contest my school was holding. We had to use a Raspberry Chipotle sauce from Fischer and Weiser. I made Top 10 finalists with this dish! I served it with asparagus and mashed potatoes and I'll give the recipe/ingredients for that too. Raspberry Chipotle Glazed Grilled Salmon Ingredients: Salmon filets (however many you require) a bundle of asparagus (or two) potatoes (for mashing) Fischer and Weiser Raspberry Chipotle sauce 3 cloves garlic-chopped or g lemon-zested and juiced 1 C any kind of fruity wine (I used Arbor Mist Mango and Strawberry) 3 TBSP butter (plus more for your potatoes) green onions or chives cream or milk  2 TBSP vegetable oil salt and pepper to taste Directions:   (These steps aren't necessarily in order. You'll want to reorder them because you don't want one side being colder than the rest. Time management and all.) Starting with the potatoes you're going to want to peel them and wash t...

Stuffed Mushrooms

I was never a huge mushroom fan until I was tricked into eating them by the older sister of a friend. Needless to say I don't quite trust her when it comes to food anymore. Regardless, I made these sometime last year and shared them with my neighbor because she's the only person near me that eats mushrooms and she enjoyed them WAY more than I did, although I did think they were pretty damn good. So here we go... Stuffed Mushrooms Ingredients: 4 portobello mushrooms, or 12 large white mushrooms 1 small red bell pepper 1/4 medium onion, minced (not 1/4 C but 1/4 of the whole onion) 2 green onions, minced 1 garlic clove, minced 2 bacon strips, diced 1 oz cream cheese 2 TBSP bread crumbs 2 TBSP shredded mozzarella garlic and onion powder, to taste salt and pepper to taste Directions: Preheat oven to 400 F Clean mushrooms and separate caps from stems. Place mushrooms caps on baking sheet, stem side down. Brush with oil and season with salt and pep...

Chicken Tagine

:In the previous post I mentioned making this a traveling food blog and this is another recipe that backs up the fact that I should probably do that. Tagine, or tajine, is a North African dish. It's namesake is the pot in which it's cooked in. However, if that were the entire truth in this case it would be called like "Dutch Oven Chicken Legs" and that doesn't sound nearly as cool. Chicken Tagine with Couscous Ingredients: Tagine: 4 chicken legs salt and pepper, as needed 3 TBSP olive oil 3 large yellow onions, sliced 2 TBSP ground coriander 1 tsp black (or white) ground pepper 2 tsp ground ginger 2 tsp ground turmeric (not going to lie to you, if you've never worked with turmeric just know that it stains EVERYTHING!) 1 1/2 C chicken stock 1 preserved lemon, sliced(the instructions and ingredients for this will be listed next) 1 TBSP finely chopped parsley (for garnish, I used green onion because it's my favorite thing ev...