Skip to main content

Shakshuka

What I know about Shashuka I learned from my boyfriend...and he learned from his sister in law. The extent of MY knowledge is that it's something she makes for breakfast and it's amazing...and let me tell you. It. Is. AMAZING. This isn't exactly a "traditional" Shakshuka but what even IS traditional these days. Ya know?


SHAKSHUKA


Ingredients:

  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 large onion (otherwise known as a "tear root)
  • 4 garlic cloves 
  • 2 28 oz cans diced tomatos
  • 1 can of Rotel with Green Chiles
  • 1 Tbsp paprika
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1 link (?) Chorizo (Mexican grease link...)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 6-8 eggs (unfertilized... preferably)
  • 2-4 oz feta cheese (we used tomato and basil feta)
  • 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
  • pita or fresh bread for serving
Directions: 

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  2. Add oil and onion to pan. Cook for about 5 Minutes or until they're soft. Add garlic and cook for another 1 minute. 
  3. Remove chorizo from casing and ground in separate pan. When it's cooked fully drain it of all it's grease and set aside. 
  4. Add diced tomatoes, Rotel, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook for like another five minutes or until it starts to smell good through the house. (You'll know because the other people will start to stir.)
  5. Throw all of this into a greased Pyrex.
  6. Chunk it into the oven for about 30 Minutes so it can thicken up. (Take this time to go and make yourself presentable for the day...or take your first nap of the day. Personally I would do the latter of the two but to each their own.) 
  7. Remove from oven and using a tablespoon create 6-8 Wells for your eggs. Gently crack the eggs into their designated wells. (You can use a number system or just write their names on them. It doesn't matter) 
  8. Throw that bad boy back into the oven for however long you want .The doneness of your eggs is a personal preference. I like mine RUNNY.
  9. Remove from oven and sprinkle with feta.

That's it. That's all folks. It takes a while to make so you know, maybe wake up a littler earlier than the rest of the fam to get it done.

Until next time
-S

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Basic Pancakes

This is the most basic and simple pancake recipe and the pancakes come out so thick and fluffy it's ridiculous. Once I started making pancakes from scratch I never got them from a box or a Bisquick Shake & Make. No offense but honestly...where's the comparison here? I don't have an actual picture of the pancakes because I haven't made any here lately but as soon as I make some I will take a picture and delete this whole last sentence!  Basic Pancakes Ingredients: 1 Egg 1 1/2 C flour 3 1/2 tsp baking powder (and make sure its a TEASPOON and not a TABLESPOON. I confused the two once and ended up having to make sooo many pancakes because you can't really take it out once its in there so I just added more flour and everything else. What's a girl to do?) 1/2 tsp salt 1/4 C sugar 1 1/4 C milk Directions: Combine wet ingredients Combine dry ingredients Mix together Heat pan to medium heat (either a greased pan or a nonstick if you f

Stuffed Mushrooms

I was never a huge mushroom fan until I was tricked into eating them by the older sister of a friend. Needless to say I don't quite trust her when it comes to food anymore. Regardless, I made these sometime last year and shared them with my neighbor because she's the only person near me that eats mushrooms and she enjoyed them WAY more than I did, although I did think they were pretty damn good. So here we go... Stuffed Mushrooms Ingredients: 4 portobello mushrooms, or 12 large white mushrooms 1 small red bell pepper 1/4 medium onion, minced (not 1/4 C but 1/4 of the whole onion) 2 green onions, minced 1 garlic clove, minced 2 bacon strips, diced 1 oz cream cheese 2 TBSP bread crumbs 2 TBSP shredded mozzarella garlic and onion powder, to taste salt and pepper to taste Directions: Preheat oven to 400 F Clean mushrooms and separate caps from stems. Place mushrooms caps on baking sheet, stem side down. Brush with oil and season with salt and pep

Banana Pudding

Just so you're aware before you get into this and then you're like "Wait...whaaaa-?" This is NOT  your momma's banana pudding recipe. Unless it is. All I know for sure about momma's and banana pudding is that this ISN'T my momma's recipe but she DOES love it.  Banana Pudding Ingredients: milk (good ol' certified cow calcium) (1) 3.4 oz box Banana Pudding mix (Instant or heat and serve. I used heat and serve without reading the box and needless to say it took me two tries to get it right. I also grabbed Banana CREAM pudding instead of regular banana... I don't pay a lot of attention to things. Anyways, all are great options. You can even make your own pudding if you'd care to.) Nilla Wafers (please please please please grab the Name Brand Nilla wafers and not the Walmart Great Value brand. Nothing against Great Value or any off brand labels but NIlla Wafers are not the same as "Vanilla Flavored Wafer Cookies")